Home > Pied de page > FAQs


Can I apply for the master through the « formation continue » or does this program only apply to the « formation initiale »?

You can apply for this master both under the “formation initiale” or the “formation continue”.

The formation initiale will apply for most students.

If you have no idea what these expressions mean, do not worry about it. Students who would like to apply for the program under the “formation continue” will know what it is about. Briefly, it is for people who have been working in France and who would like to improve their skills by going back to school. Their employer will finance their studies.


Are there any scholarships I can apply for as an international student?

International students can apply for different scholarships which can vary from year to year

Warning: the deadline for our university is earlier than the Campus France or Ile-de-France deadlines. Usually our deadline is at the very beginning of December. Check the exact dates on Paris Descartes University website:


We strongly recommend that you look for other scholarships on your side (ask the French embassy in your country) because French scholarships are extremely competitive and they usually give priority to new comers, ie students who have never been to France before.


Do I need to speak a little bit of French to apply for this master program?

No, you don’t. ALL courses are taught in English. You do not have to attach a French language certificate to your application.

Your level of English should be good enough so you can actually understand what is said during classes. Level B2 is adequate.


Can I apply directly for the M2 if I obtained or in the process of obtaining a Bachelor’s degree?

No, you can’t and even if your Bachelor’s degree is a 4 or 5 years program as it is the case in some countries. You MUST apply for the M1.

See rule #3 (pre-requisites) in the application procedure for more details:


Are there any GPA/grade requirements?

There are no minimum GPA/grade requirements. Your application must be competitive enough for you to be selected for an interview through Skype. The keys to be authorized to enroll in our program are excellence, motivation and the compatibility of your professional plans.


Can I ask the administrative coordinator to check if the application I sent is complete?

No, you can’t. We receive so many applications that we cannot check them individually before the admission commission. It is YOUR responsibility. If it is not complete (example: 1 letter of recommendation missing), it will not be examined.

The only documents that we accept as missing in your application are:

  • Your transcript from the last semester of your current studies (which you will need to send as soon as you get it)
  • Your last diploma (which you can send later as long as you sent the proof that you validated your diploma with your transcript)
  • Your English language certificate (if you attach a document that explains why. For example, you will be taking the test at a given date and will send the results as soon as you get them, or you are exempted from providing the certificate because you have been attending an English-taught program).

In any case, you MUST NOT send an email to the administrative coordinator to ask if your application is complete or not.


Am I going to receive a confirmation email after submitting my application and uploading my documents?

  1. After submitting the online application form (, you will NOT receive a confirmation email. You will just see a page that says:

Your application has been successfully registered.
Now go to step 4 and download the required documents (
Please note that if you do not attach ALL documents needed, your application will not be considered.”

  1. After uploading your documents electronically, you will receive a confirmation email AND you will see a page that says:

“Your application has been sent. Make sure you submit your online application form

Your application number: XXXX”


Can I apply even if I haven’t validated my Bachelor’s degree or M1 yet?

Yes, you can. The earlier you apply, the better it is.

You can apply ahead of time and explain in your application that you will be sending the last transcripts when you get them. If your application is competitive enough, you can be interviewed and receive a positive reply. In the letter you will receive, it will be mentioned that you are authorized to enroll into our program provided that you validate your current degree at the end of the schoolyear. Of course, you will then need to send us the proof of validation as soon as possible.


Is there a minimum score which I have to obtain for my English language certificate?

No, there isn’t. Your level of English will be assessed during the Skype interview if your application is selected for an interview.


Can I apply for this program as a physiotherapist (kinésithérapeute)?

You can apply directly for the M2 only if you are a “cadre de santé” (if you have done the extra fourth year which awards you this rank). Otherwise, you have to apply for the M1.


Does the University provide housing?

Paris Descartes University is located in the center of Paris and does not have a campus allowing housing. So, you will have to look for yourself. You can use this list ( of places you can contact.


How much money do I need to live in Paris?

Tuition is around 500 € per year for a M1 (including social security) and around 650€ for a M2 (including social security and interdisciplinary seminar) to be paid on registration in September. No additional tuition is asked for internship or thesis. Expenses for books and educational material are around 300 €. Living in Paris is expensive. For example, the cost of a room for students at the Cité Internationale Universitaire de Paris is between 500 and 600 € per month. 


Can I pursue the program in a distance learning context?

No, you can’t. This program is only open for traditional courses. Students MUST attend ALL courses.


 Where are the courses going to take place?

It depends on the year and the track you chose:

  • M1, M2 MCB: most classes will take place at the Centre Universitaire des Saints Pères, 45 rue des Saints Pères 75006 Paris
  • M2 BioMAT or BioMECH: most classes will take place at the ENSAM 151 boulevard de l’Hôpital 75013 Paris
  • M2 BIN: most classes take place at the ESPCI 10 rue Vauquelin 75005 Paris and at the Centre Universitaire des Saints Pères
  • M2 BIM: most classes take place at Telecom 45 rue Barrault 75013 Paris and at the Centre Universitaire des Saints Pères


Is it a full time program or can I work on the side?

It is a full time program. You will not be able to work on the side unless it is a student job which doesn’t take more than a few hours a week.

NB. The CBM track has a different organization though. You can check the different possibilities here (


If I applied for the BME master program a previous year, can I use the same application number?

No, you need to apply again as if it was the first time.

Arts et Métiers ParisTech
Université Paris Descartes
Master BME Paris